I’ve compiled all of the most frequently asked questions about bottom liner… Please let me know if you have any more questions after this…
Should You Use Eyeliner on the Bottom?
There is no straight yes or no answer to this question. It depends on, your unique features, personality, lifestyle…
However I’m going to give you my best tips - as a makeup artist to the stars - to get the best results possible.
A great idea is to test and try it for yourself - particularly when you are not going somewhere important - such as when you're about to remove your makeup for the day.
You don’t need that added stress if you find it doesn’t suit you.
It will also vary depending on the occasion. For example, heading to the beach calls for different makeup than for date night.
Here goes. Let's dive in…
Does Bottom Eyeliner Look Good on Everyone?
While bottom eyeliner does look good on most - especially if skilfully done - it does not suit everyone.
If you have taken my course you would likely have a good understanding of what suits your unique features.
But if not, the best tip I can give you is to test it and practice right when you are about to take your makeup off for the day.
In this way you can confidently experiment and learn about yourself rather than be stressed before an important meeting or event.
How to Eyeliner the Bottom Eyelid
There are two easy methods I recommend for applying bottom eyeliner:
Method #1: Line the waterline, then use a brush designed for liner, like the Smudger Brush, to smudge, blend, and soften the edge for a soft, smouldering look.
Method #2: Smudge eyeliner or eyeshadow along the outer and inner third of the bottom lash line, leaving the middle third relatively untouched. This method works well with eyeshadow too, again using the Smudger Brush.
(For more details See bottom of page for "how-to make bottom liner look good")
Is Bottom Eyeliner Out of Style?
You may notice celebrities always keep their basic unique style, that never really changes… their own brand… and are only mildly influenced by changes in fashion and style.
Makeup techniques constantly go in and out of style, but as a celebrity makeup artist who creates makeup fashions - I recommend finding your own style that matches your unique personality, features, lifestyle, and stick with what works.
Use fashions as fun suggestions to change things up or try something new - rather than as a dictator telling you how your makeup must be done.
Very often, something that comes into fad might actually be terribly unflattering to our own unique features.
For this reason, I encourage you to experiment. But proirotize what works for you and what makes you look and feel your best.
Not what someone on the other side of the world, dictates is in style.
Does Bottom Eyeliner Age You?
In certain circumstances wearing eyeliner on the bottom lid can make someone appear older or hardened as it can make the eye seem more sunken.
Here are my top tips to create flattering and gorgeous bottom eyeliner:
- Wear your makeup strongest or darkest on the top lid - a darker colour eyeliner or eyeshadow - and go softer on the bottom lid. This gives a more “lifted” feel to your eye makeup.
- Blend and soften the eyeliner very well using the Smudger Brush
- Reserve bottom eyeliner for low-light settings and avoid it in full daylight, like garden lunches or beach outings.
- Try lining the wet line - not just the lid. This gives a youthful look.
- Only line the outer and inner thirds of the lash line, tapering to nothing in the middle third.
Can You Wear Eyeliner on the Bottom Lid Only?
Can you put eyeliner just on the bottom lid? Absolutely!
This look will suit some people’s eye shape and personal style more than other’s.
So once again, test this at a time when it’s safe to experiment - like before you're about to wash off your makeup- and not when you’re about to head somewhere important.
To learn the fundamental basics of makeup you might be interested to have a look at The Ten Years Younger Eyes Online Makeup Lesson, that has over 28 years of experience packed into a mind blowing 2 hours that will change your makeup life forever.
Where should bottom eyeliner go?
On the inner and out third. It should taper to nothing in the middle area.
You can try using it on the wet line to create a youthful look - especially if your wetline is quite pronounced.
How to Apply Eyeliner bottom Eyelid.
How to do Bottom Eyeliner...Steps to Make Bottom Eyeliner Look Good:
Use either an eyeliner pencil, or dark eyeshadow. https://jacquelinekalabbeauty.com.au/products/eyesindelible-eyes-smooth-glide-waterproof-eyeliner-pencil-easy-to-apply-perfect-control-lasts-all-day-rich-velvet-color-longwear-luxury-formula-with-smudger-tip-by-jacqueline-kalab
Use the Smudger Brushor a brush especially designed for blending out eyeliner.
Celebrity Makeup Artist Tips:
- Go lightly at first - a soft application so that it doesn’t look too harsh.
- You may like to choose a lighter / softer colour than the top. Maybe try using brown on the bottom and black on the top lid.
- Blend, blend, blend and soften the eyeliner very well using the Smudger brush.
- Apply concealer very well under the eye, to prevent eyeliner from appearing like dark circles.
- Wear a darker colour eyeliner or eyeshadow on the top lid - and softer colour on the bottom lid.
- Avoid using eyeliner on the bottom lid in full daylight settings, such as for a garden lunch or the beach. Reserve bottom eyeliner for low light settings.
- Test the look of lining the wet line - not just the lid. This can give a younger look.
- Only line the outer third and inner third of the lash line - tapering to nothing in the middle third of the lash line.
Step by Step:
- Start with the outer corner and moving in toward the middle, apply your eyeliner or eyeshadow to the outer third of your bottom eyelid and gradually taper to nothing the middle section. (You may want to stop here or continue to next step).
- Very lightly - using what is left on your brush, or softly with your eyeliner - apply in a horizontal line from the inner corner tapering to toward the middle of the eye.
- Leave the middle section relatively untouched to give the most flattering and sexy look to the eyes.
To learn the fundamental basics and to fall in love with the art of makeup you might be interested to have a look at The Ten Years Younger Eyes Online Makeup Lesson, that has over 28 years of experience packed into a mind blowing 2 hours that will change your makeup life forever.
Makeup is art. There is no wrong or right. It's about what you love personally, what suits your style, lifestyle and makes you feel confident.